Rustic Swiss chard and Spinach Pieby Lianne Goldsmith January 2, 2019
I love to throw together meals without too much fuss and this particular meal allows me to create a wholesome vegetarian feast in an hour! According to my daughters, I have been singing the praises of my spectacular spinach pie forever. And 20 years later, I still consider this one of my best go-to meals.
Ingredients: All organic
• 2 bunches Swiss chard
• 1 bunch spinach
• 1 medium brown onion
• 3-4 large russet potatoes
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 4 large eggs
• 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
• 2 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
This is where things become fun; if you don’t have enough chard, add more spinach. If you don’t have enough potatoes, add sweet potatoes. If you have Parmesan, you can use that too. Basically this meal originated as a “leftovers” meal using whatever was around and fresh enough to toss into an oversized mixing bowl.
– Peel and quarter potatoes.
– Boil until soft (not too soft).
– Place in a strainer till the potatoes are dry.
– Set the oven to 350 degrees.
– Roughly mash the potatoes, adding sea salt and pepper.
– Strip the Swiss chard and spinach off their stalks and tear the leaves into
roughly 2-inch pieces. We are not trying to chop them into tiny pieces.
– If you choose, you can chip up the stalks and add them to the leaves.
– Wash the greens well and spin dry leaving for a while to dry completely.
This ensures that the pie will not get mushy.
– Chop the onion into medium sized pieces.
– Place greens and onions into large bowl.
– Add two cups shredded cheese.
– Add two beaten eggs.
– Add ¼ cup vegetable oil.
– Add the mashed potatoes.
– Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix all of the ingredients
together well to ensure consistency in the mixture.
– Place the mixture in a large casserole.
– Pour the two beaten eggs over the top of the mixture and sprinkle a cup
of cheese over.
– Bake in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top of the
pie is golden brown and the aroma is mouthwatering.
Fantastic for a family meal or a party, this Mediterranean dish is delicious with a fresh green salad, warm baguette with salted butter and a glass of wine. Enjoy!